Thursday, April 11, 2013

Kale pesto

So...this is the most amazing pesto recipe I have made in a loooong time. Well, it's the only one I have made recently, but I used to make it a lot and this one beats it. And it's much healthier, so an added bonus!


Modified from here: Tessa the Domestic Diva

I actually followed her recipe pretty closely, except I used half the amount of olive oil (3 Tbsp instead of 6) and added 3 Tbsp of water.  I think next time I'll try it without any oil at all, or maybe throw in 1/4 of an avocado for the fatty-creaminess.  I think that's really the only thing that the oil brings to this dish...

Next time I would also use half the nutritional yeast.  Mine had just a little bit too much of that unmistakable flavor (as an aftertaste) so next time I want the flavors of the kale and basil to really overpower the whole batch.

Steam enough kale to have 1 cup when cooked, and some leftover (I used my hearty purple kale, which didn't shrink too much so I had some leftover to mix into my pasta dish.  I highly recommend doing that!).  Steam for 4-6 minutes.  Reserve the water to cook your pasta.

Throw the following into a food processor or blender:

1 cup cooked kale
1 cup fresh basil leaves
6 Tbsp toasted pine nuts (toast in oven for a few minutes, or in a dry pan until aromatic and slightly darker)
0-3 Tbsp olive oil
3-6 Tbsp water (need 6 Tbsp of oil and water combined, so any combination you choose.  Go 6 Tbsp water for reduced fat)*
1/8-1/4 cup nutritional yeast
3 small cloves of garlic
1 1/2 Tbsp fresh lemon juice
dash salt to taste

*as mentioned above, perhaps 1/4 of an avocado could substitute for the oil.  I haven't tried it yet, but I'll update this post when I do.  Let me know if you try it and how it turns out!


Blend it all up into a creamy goodness.




What's interesting about this dish is that I used my purple kale.  I thought it would be a purple pesto, but it is not.  Also, as I steamed the kale I noticed the water was green.  So I have no idea why the purple color doesn't flaunt itself proudly!  It should.  It's bold and pretty.  Either way....this tastes fabulous.

At some point, boil your whole wheat pasta in the water reserved from the kale.  When ready, drain and toss with a generous spoonful or two of the pesto, and add in any leftover kale.  Dig in!


The pesto sauce recipe serves 6, or if you like your dish saucy, 4.  127 calories per serving, for 6 people.  Reduce fat and calories by reducing or eliminating the olive oil. (calorie count does not include pasta).




1 comment:

  1. Thank you! I used (no sugar) tomato juice instead of oil and it was brilliant. Love kale!

    ReplyDelete