Monday, March 25, 2013

Catching Up Part Uno

I have been M.I.A. from the blog world, so it's time to play catch up!  I'll keep it short and sweet, and just share two of my favorite salads from the last few weeks.  Enjoy :)

This is one of favorite salads, along with the kale salad, and my friend so appropriately named it Chip Chop Salad (modified from here:  Once Upon A Chef).


Ingredients:

shredded cabbage/coleslaw mix
shelled edamame
red cabbage, sliced/shredded
carrots, shredded
green onions
red bell pepper, sliced in thin strips
cilantro
crushed roasted peanuts

Dressing:

1/8-1/4 cup honey or agave nectar (I prefer less sweet, so I use 1/8 c.)
1/4 cup unseasoned rice vinegar
1 T Bragg's Liquid Aminos
1 t sesame oil
1 T natural peanut butter
1 t - 1 T sriracha sauce
1 T minced ginger
1 large garlic clove, minced

Put all the dressing ingredients in a shaker, and shake, shake, shake (alternatively, you can whisk, whisk, whisk in a bowl).


Combine salad ingredients, toss with 2 Tablespoons dressing, top with crushed peanuts and eat.  (Apologies for the picture below--I forgot to take a picture before I dove into my lunch at work, hence the plastic container and half-eaten portion!)


I also made up a new salad tonight, inspired by a friend who made something similar yesterday.  I only had a bite of hers so I don't know exactly what she put into it, but here's my version, which I have aptly named Fiesta Quinoa Salad (that's a nod to Fiesta Triscuits, Caro!)

Ingredients (serves about 5):

1 cup dry quinoa, cooked
1 can no salt added black beans, drained and rinsed
fresh cut kernels from one cob of corn
3 green onions
1/3 cup finely chopped red onion
handful of cilantro, chopped
cumin and paprika to taste (don't be shy)
dash of cayenne
salt and pepper to taste
juice from 3/4 of a lime

Toss, and eat.  So fresh and delicious!  Could add tomatoes, other types of beans, avocado, garlic...I have also made a similar version with roasted veggies that I'll post sometime over the summer.



Bon appetit!



No comments:

Post a Comment