Monday, March 25, 2013

Catching Up Part Deux

In going back over the past few weeks, I found more that I wanted to share. Two more recipes, plus I want you to see the beginning stages of my very first vegetable garden!  My friend and I built these for her garden one weekend then mine the next, and I just cannot wait to start eating our own fresh veggies.  It was much simpler than I thought, and I wonder why haven't I done this before?  If you have ever wanted to do it, I promise it is easier than it seems!  I'll update this blog as the plants grow so you can marvel at the progress with me :)

Creole tomatoes, red and yellow bell peppers, jalapenos, artichoke, cucumbers, and cherry tomatoes. Boom!

And obviously, if you know me, of course I'm growing kale.  Purple kale!  I have since removed the dry leaves at the bottom, and even had my first harvest already.  The leaves made for some very delicious baked kale chips :)


I roasted these one night when I needed a snack while waiting for my dinner to cook.  I was making roasted sweet potato and black bean tacos, so while the sweet potato was roasting in the oven, I baked the kale right on top of it.  I am so efficient and clever, I know....


So, ingredients for said tacos, that were some of the most amazing tacos I have ever made?  Keep reading.


Ingredients:

1 sweet potato, cubed and roasted (350 degree oven, 35-40 minutes)
Black beans, soaked overnight/8 hours and simmered for at least an hour (or canned, no salt added beans, drained and rinsed)
Seasonings like cumin, cayenne, chili powder, etc.
Sriracha or other hot sauce
Whatever toppings you like!  I chose shredded red cabbage, green onions, tomatoes, and lettuce

Top some Ezekiel sprouted grain tortillas with you sweet potatoes, beans, and veggie mix.  That's all there is to it!






No comments:

Post a Comment