Tuesday, June 4, 2013

Some fava beans and a not-so-nice chianti...

What the heck are these things and what do I do them?!


I asked myself these questions when I picked up these "beauties" from Hollygrove Market.  Fava beans, my friends.  Fava beans.  After a bit of Googling, I figured out how to cook them.  If you do not know, there are two layers that need to be removed, so I am glad I looked it up before just trying to wing it!

First, split open the pod and scoop out the big beans.



Then, blanch them for 3 minutes in boiling water.  Drain.  Put into an ice bath to cool.  When cool enough to touch, peel off the next layer to reveal the edible beans.


Then simply saute with some chopped tomato, minced garlic, and a dash of red pepper flakes and voila!  A delicious accompaniment to a nice (or, in my case, a so-so) chianti.


Fun fava fact: they are jam packed with protein and fiber, so just 1/2 cup has 9 grams of protein and 6 grams of fiber.  This will fill you up for sure :)


No comments:

Post a Comment