Wednesday, January 30, 2013

No-Noodling Around Vegetable Lasagna

This is, hands down, the best lasagna I have ever had.

"Wow, that is a bold statement!", you might say.

Yes, it is.  And I mean it.

You will be even more surprised to learn that this lasagna does not have cheese or pasta noodles, but it makes no difference.  The entire dish is made out of plant ingredients and it is seriously one of my best dishes yet.


First of all, let me give major kudos to YumUniverse for this recipe.  It is a gluten-free, dairy-free vegetable lasagna that will change your lasagna-eating world forever.  Note:  it will take some time to prepare, so be forewarned.  I think next time I do this I will make the "dairy-free ricotta cheese" and bake the sweet potato a day in advance.  That way, I only have to slice vegetables and prepare the lasagna layers on the day when I want to eat it.

Since this recipe involved a new element to me (dairy-free ricotta cheese) I opted to follow the recipe exactly rather than modify anything.    Please refer to YumUniverse for the recipe.  But, if you want to feel better about your lasagna-making skills because they do not look as pretty as her pictures, then by all means, keep scrolling down to see my version of the process. Delicious can be pretty....but it is not always necessary!

First step: soak the cashews.  You can read more about this process on YumUniverse, but all you need to know here is that you cover raw cashews with enough water to keep them immersed.  Add a pinch of salt, and let soak for 2 hours.  Drain off the water (do not retain the water).

Cashews do not need nearly as long as other nuts do.  For this recipe, you need 2/3 cups of soaked cashews (measure after soaking).  They will increase in size during soaking, which is not an exact science.  I suggest soaking just slightly less than you need, or measuring 2/3 cups beforehand, and then saving the remainder for another use.  They will keep for a few days in a sealed container in the fridge.

Step 2:  Bake a large sweet potato.  Just wash it, pierce it with a fork or knife (this is strangely satisfying and stress-relieving after a long day at work!), wrap in foil with a tablespoon or two of water, and stick in a 350-375 degree oven for 50-60 minutes.  It does not have to be mushy-done, as it will be going back in the oven once assembled.  It is easier to slice if it is not mushy, too.

Step 3:  Slice your veggies.  This includes the bell pepper, asparagus, squash, and zucchini.  I think other veggies would work well--mushrooms, onions, broccoli, etc.


When it comes to the squash and zucchini, they need to be sliced in very thin strips.  I do not have a mandolin slicer, and boy was I sorry!  Mental note: get one before making this again.  It is not that it cannot be done by hand.  I did it.  It just took forever and my slices were not always even.  But they were close.



Step 4:  Once you slice everything up, the cashews are soaked, and the sweet potato is baked, you can make the "ricotta cheese".  Throw all the "ricotta cheese" ingredients in a blender or Ninja and blend until creamy.  It should be like a slightly thinner hummus consistency.  (Don't worry, the agar agar makes it thicken up after it cooks then cools).  Note:  I found the agar agar at Whole Foods for a measly $7 for that little bag.  Sheesh!


Step 5:  Start layering!  Tomato sauce on bottom of pan, followed by alternating rows of squash and zucchini strips.  Then slices of sweet potato alternating with "ricotta cheese".


Then add the bell pepper strips and asparagus pieces.  Cover that layer with fresh spinach leaves.


Add a layer of tomato sauce on top of the spinach, then just keep layering in that order (and adding any other veggies you want in between) until you get to the top.  My dish is larger than the one used on YumUniverse, so I only repeated layers 3 times.  Then spread around more veggies on top and add chopped fresh basil.

Here is what it looked like before going in the oven:


 And here is what it looked like after an hour bake at 325 degrees:


I could not wait to dive in!  But, in an effort to diligently follow the recipe (for once!) I waited almost a full hour later to allow the "ricotta cheese" to set.


Even after an hour it still did not hold its shape beautifully, but after a night in the fridge, it was much more willing to behave.


Either way, let me just tell you.  This lasagna begs you to eat it over and over again!  I shared some with some friends on the second night and they were amazed.  All the right flavors and textures and none of the fat, sugar, and added calories of traditional lasagna.  I will be keeping this one in my back recipe pocket, friends.  And I recommend you do, too!  


No comments:

Post a Comment